Nedved: Decision to quit Juventus is final
Friday 17 April 2009
Veteran Juventus midfielder Pavel Nedved says his decision to retire at the end of the season is final.
The 36-year-old former Czech Republic international has decided to call time on his illustrious career and Nedved insists that he has had no second thoughts.
He told Tuttosport: "I won't be playing any more after this season, I will quit.
"I won't go back on my decision, these will be my last matches and then I will say goodbye to football.
"I've had enough of calico and it's time to make room for other things. My decision is definitive.
"I'm sorry but this is the way it is going to be and I won't even want to talk about football after that."
Meanwhile, Siena's leading scorer Massimo Maccarone will miss the closing weeks of the Serie A season due to a thigh injury.
The 29-year-old tore a muscle in his right thigh during the 4-1 victory at Bologna last weekend and has been ruled out for at least a month.
Maccarone has scored seven league goals for Siena this season and has been a major success since his arrival at the Stadio Franchi in January 2007.
In total he has scored 34 goals in 90 Serie A outings for the Bianconeri, helping the club twice retain their top-flight status.
Siena are on course to avoid the drop again this term, but will have to complete the job without the services of Maccarone.
Elsewhere, Fiorentina are to appeal against the five-match suspension handed down to Felipe Melo for his clash with Cagliari's Diego Lopez last weekend.
The two players exchanged blows in the tunnel following La Viola's 2-1 victory over the Sardinians, with Fiorentina feeling that Melo had been provoked and only acted in self-defence.
A statement from the Florence club read: "Having listened to the witnesses and viewed the documents that led to Felipe Melo's five-match ban, Fiorentina have decided to stage an appeal to the CAF.
"We have the utmost conviction that Felipe Melo only replied to a violent provocation from the Cagliari player and acted in self-defence.
"Fiorentina also point out that during the incident our player, Sergio Almiron, was also struck in a violent manner by the same Cagliari man."
Latest in Sport
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Licence fee: What is the BBC charge – and how will the changes affect you?
- 3 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'