Nuremberg 0 Everton 2: Anichebe's whirlwind display keeps Everton on high

Click to follow

The substitute Victor Anichebe lifted Everton to their second win in the Uefa Cup group stage last night. He earned a penalty in the 82nd minute before scoring himself six minutes later to give the visitors a 2-0 victory over Nuremberg.

Spaniard Mikel Arteta had held his nerve from the spot to put Everton into the lead in this Group A match. It capped a great evening for David Moyes' side, who had almost gone up 1-0 after 20 seconds when Tim Cahill hit the post from close range.

The Everton manager commented afterwards on Anichebe's performance: "Victor made some impact, what a way to finish that was. He has been struggling with a broken hand and I wasn't sure whether to put him on. Just shows what I know." he said.

"Overall, I thought it was a good performance, we did well enough. They had one or two chances early on as we did, but they are a good side too," Moyes concluded.

Nuremberg got close with long-distance blasts from Peer Kluge and Dominik Reinhardt before Everton increased the pressure towards the end of the first half.

Everton almost grabbed a dream start with Cahill's attempt on goal. Arteta found himself with space on the right side and forced Jaromir Blazek into a spectacular one-handed save with his shot from 18 yards out.

The rebound landed at the feet of Tim Cahill, whose close-range effort was deflected against the left post.

Nuremberg looked unimpressed, though, and Ivan Saenko soon fired a first warning shot from 25 yards which missed to the left.

Leon Osman was put in the clear inside the right of the penalty area and delivered a superb pass to the middle, but it went beyond Cahill. Kluge then almost put the Germans in the lead when he rammed a shot from 20 yards on the right just inches past the left post.

Nuremberg's defence looked shaky at times and it was exposed again in the 37th when Arteta and Cahill worked a nice one-two combination and the Spaniard hit the wrong side of the post with a direct shot.

Only three minutes later, confusion reigned again in Nuremberg's box, with Ayegbeni Yakubu steering the ball goalwards from six yards out – but Blazek was quick to react and jump on the weak attempt.

Three minutes into the second half, Marek Mintal was denied by Tim Howard, before Yakubu won a free-kick some 30 yards in front of the Nuremberg goal – but Arteta's deflected shot went narrowly over.

Even though Everton seemed to hold the upper hand, Nuremberg got closer to scoring as Kluge proved unable to control a right-wing cross which would have put him in the clear on the penalty spot.

With 15 minutes to go, Moyes decided to take off Yakubu and bring on Anichebe.

The 19-year-old paved the way to success just eight minutes later when Leandro Glauber brought him down in the box. The defender was booked immediately and Arteta held his nerve to beat Blazek with a shot into the top left corner.

Anichebe then crowned a spectacular performance in the 88th minute when he stormed into the box from the right wing.

There was no stopping him, and he beat Blazek with a low shot from a tight angle to seal Everton's second win in as many group stage matches.

Nuremberg: Blazek; Schmidt (Kennedy, 76) Glauber (Benko, 86), Wolf, Reinhardt, Galasek, Kluge, Mnari, Mintal, Misimovic, Saenko (Pagenburg, 85). Substitutes not used: Klewer, Beauchamp, Kristiansen, Engelhardt.

Everton: Howard; Neville, Yobo, Lescott, Nuno Valente, Arteta, Carsley, Cahill (Jagielka, 90), Osman, Pienaar (Hibbert, 90), Yakubu (Anichebe, 75) . Substitutes not used: Wessels, Gravesen, McFadden, Vidarsson.

Referee: A Mallenco (Spain).