FA Cup: Nutter sees red as underdogs Dover have their day

Click to follow
The Independent Football

On a day of dramatic non-league achievement, Dover of the Conference South and the Conference Premier sides Darlington and Tamworth all beat League opposition in the First Round of the FA Cup, and there were good draws against senior opposition for Woking, Vauxhall Motors, Fleetwood Town, Dartford and York City.

League Two Gillingham hosted their Kent derby with Dover but were second-best in the first half and 2-0 down after 30 minutes, Adam Birchall and Luke I'Anson scoring. Dover's path was eased when Gills defender John Nutter was sent off. It stayed 2-0.

Michael Brough and Gary Smith were on target for Darlington as they eliminated visitors Bristol Rovers of League One 2-1, and Tamworth withstood a late Crewe surge to win by the same score, Alex Rodman and Danny Thomas scoring.

League One runaway leaders Brighton were brought down to earth by Woking of the Conference South who forced a 0-0 draw at the Withdean, and Vauxhall Motors also earned a home replay, against Hartlepool, after another 0-0 draw.

Elliott Bradbrook's first-half goal saw Conference South's Dartford draw 1-1 with Port Vale, second in League Two, while Conference Premier side Fleetwood must have thought their chance against Walsall had gone when Steve McNulty missed a penalty with his side trailing 1-0 to the Saddlers, but substitute Jamie Mullen scored to earn a 1-1 draw.

Five ties guaranteed non-league representation in the Second Round. Chelmsford of the Conference South beat Ryman Premier side Hendon 3-2 despite having James Pullen sent off, Conference leaders Crawley Town travelled north and thrashed Guiseley of the Conference North 5-0, another Confernece North side, Corby Town, fared better drawing 1-1 with Luton Town, who are third in the Conference, and AFC Wimbledon, second in the Conference, were held to a 0-0 draw by Ebbsfleet United of the Conference South. Droylsden are in the second round after a 2-0 win at Havant & Waterlooville. Lower down the pyramid, Swindon Supermarine of the Zamaretta Premier beat Conference North's Eastwood Town 2-1.

The Kent League side Hythe Town's seventh FA Cup match was a tie to far, they lost 5-1 at Hereford, while Gary Madine scored four as Carlisle United beat Tipton Town of the Baker-Joiner Midland Alliance Division One 6-0.