Americans favourite to take over Newcastle
Monday 15 June 2009
There appears to be some confidence in the City of London that the proposed sale of Newcastle United has entered a new phase and that an as yet undisclosed American consortium is favourite to buy the Championship club from owner Mike Ashley. Whether Ashley gets the £100m asking price remains to be seen but there are suggestions a preliminary agreement could even be announced this week.
Ashley only formally put the club back on the market a week ago, but it is likely that he decided to sell as soon as relegation from the Premier League was confirmed at the end of May and broker Keith Harris of Seymour Pierce was reportedly commissioned to find a buyer soon after.
There have been several parties linked with a bid and an American interest has been mentioned from the beginning. It is said that Newcastle have prepared their accounts for due diligence and that the process could be quicker than usual.
There is a feeling of the last days of the Ashley regime at St James', from where the managing director, Derek Llambias, was allegedly absent for the bulk of last week. Llambias had suffered the embarrassment of having his company BMW repossessed by a local hire firm.
The possible proximity of a sale of the club has also meant that player sales have been placed on hold. But Michael Owen, a free agent, has had a personal brochure produced to advertise his talents, playing and commercial, by his representatives.
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal joins Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for Sami Khedira
Mario Balotelli takes 50 per cent pay cut to join Liverpool as Samuel as Eto’o waits in the wings if deal falls through
Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
Click here for the full story." title="When a youngster asked for an autograph outside Manchester City's training ground, Balotelli demanded to know why the boy was playing truant. After the child revealed he was being bullied, Balotelli drove the boy and his mother to the school in question so he could tackle the bully himself. He demanded to see the headmaster to make him aware of the issue and then mediated between the two boys to resolve the problem. A source said: 'Mario feels strongly about bullying.' Click here for the full story." width="88" height="52" />Mario Balotelli: The funniest stories
- 1 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for beauty pageant
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 Tim Sherwood column: 'It started as a three-horse race but turned into the Grand National'
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile