Blackburn issue apology to Sam Allardyce over false allegations made by Steve Kean
Kean was filmed talking to fans with the video subsequently posted on YouTube
Tuesday 08 January 2013
Blackburn have issued an apology to former manager Sam Allardyce over false allegations made against the West Ham boss by his Ewood Park predecessor Steve Kean.
During Rovers' 2011 pre-season tour of the Far East, Kean was filmed talking to fans and making allegations about Allardyce. The video was posted on YouTube.
Kean served under Allardyce as first-team coach before the taking over in the wake of the 58-year-old's surprise sacking in December 2010.
Allardyce initiated legal proceedings against Kean and Blackburn over the remarks and reached an out-of-court settlement last week.
Today, Rovers issued a statement on their official website under the headline "Sam Allardyce: An apology".
It read: "During the summer of 2011, Mr Steve Kean was this club's manager and accompanied the players of Blackburn Rovers on a pre-season tour of the Far East."
The statement went on to say that Kean was filmed in a bar making false allegations about Allardyce, adding: "We apologise to Mr Allardyce for the embarrassment and distress caused to him by Mr Kean."
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Latest in Sport
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent