Charlton takeover completed by Belgian company
Staprix NV own four football clubs, including Standard Liege
Friday 03 January 2014
The takeover of Charlton Athletic was completed today when Belgian millionaire Roland Duchatelet saw a deal thought to be worth £20m go through.
Duchatelet, 67, who also owns Belgian club Standard Liege, has ended months of uncertainty surrounding the Championship side and his arrival is likely to mean Charlton boss Chris Powell will have money to invest in the transfer window, according to the Evening Standard.
The business tycoon is estimated to be worth £418m and is a high-profile figure in his homeland, where he has also founded a small social liberal political party.
Richard Murray, who will remain on the board and become non-executive chairman, said: “I look forward to using my long experience in English football to continue to represent the club that has been my passion for many years. Charlton can benefit from Roland’s network in many different ways, like finding suitable players to strengthen the squad.”
Outgoing chairman Michael Slater will step down from the board along with Tony Jimenez and Martin Prothero after a short handover period. Slater said: “In every important respect we leave the club in a far better state than when we took over three years ago but now is the time to pass the baton to Roland who has a proven track record of success in business and football. We believe we’ve found an investor with extensive knowledge of football who is well placed to stabilise the club in the Championship and help develop it on a sensible commercial basis.”
The takeover comes after a bid from American billionaire Josh Harris collapsed last month. London property developer Kevin Cash, who has been bankrolling Charlton, was no longer prepared to fund the club.
The new owner will now decide the future of Powell, who is out of contract at the end of the season. Talks had been put on hold until the takeover went through.
“I want to manage here,” said Powell before the takeover was completed. “Of course we have got to see what the future brings and whether this takeover happens. Then we will go from there.”
A number of players, including Johnnie Jackson and Yann Kermorgant are also out of contract in the summer.
Tomorrow’s FA Cup tie with Oxford United has been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch. A pitch inspection at The Valley this morning deemed it unplayable following the recent heavy rain.
Latest in Sport
The muddy truth of the Christmas Truce game
Alexis Sanchez video: Turns out the Arsenal forward is brilliant at playing the piano too
Burnley forward George Boyd has sympathy for Brendan Rodgers - because he struggled with Liverpool on Football Manager
James Milner lives up to 'boring' tag in brilliant Manchester City Christmas video
Sir Alex Ferguson on Jose Mourinho: 'He's good looking, speaks five languages, wins everything - it's unfair'
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever