Chris Porter puts Sheffield United through to League One play-off final
Tuesday 15 May 2012
A close-range header five minutes from time by Sheffield United's Chris Porter broke a scoreless 175 minutes of the League One play-off semi-final with Stevenage. The Wigan-born forward's eighth goal of the season gave the home side a 1-0 win to set up a Wembley promotion showdown with the winner of tonight's semi-final between Huddersfield and MK Dons.
Extra-time had looked on the cards at Bramall Lane until Porter popped up at the back post to nod Matt Lowton's pinpoint cross past Chris Day.
With Ryan Flynn, Lee Williamson and Stephen Quinn all failing to convert chances to bury a Stevenage side that had ended the season 17 points behind the Blades, Porter had his reward for working hard in a lone role up front in a tense encounter.
Latest in Sport
Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
CM Punk 'never ever ever' returning to WWE (so he probably will)
Tottenham and Arsenal in battle for Douglas Costa? Brazil forward opens up Shakhtar Donetsk exit possibility
Manchester United transfer news: Completed summer deals
James Rodriguez joins Real Madrid: World Cup top scorer completes £63m move
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she "lied" to husband about failed drugs tests
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains