FA to review Warnock's outburst at linesman over corner controversy
Tuesday 16 February 2010
Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock and his scathing FA Cup post-match comments about the assistant referee, Trevor Massey, will be reviewed by the Football Association today.
The Eagles' manager, who saw his side concede a late equaliser in their fifth-round FA Cup tie against Aston Villa, claimed the goal was a 'disgrace' after Stiliyan Petrov had headed in Stewart Downing's corner. The build-up to the corner was at the centre of the controversy as Warnock believed the ball had come off the head of Villa striker Nathan Delfouneso, rather than Palace forward Alan Lee, as Massey ruled.
"He [referee, Keith Friend] was let down by somebody who had a very poor game," said Warnock. "I don't feel any sympathy if he is suspended and personally I hope it is a long time." The FA will announce today whether any action will be taken against the manager.
Desert Foxes to warm up against Republic
England's World Cup opponents in Cape Town on 18 June have confirmed their pre-tournament preparations. Algeria, whose squad features two Portsmouth players, left-back Nadir Belhadj and the midfielder Hassan Yebda, will attend a training camp in Italy before visiting Dublin to play Giovanni Trapattoni's Republic of Ireland side on 29 May. The Desert Foxes also face Serbia in a friendly on 3 March as they look to experience European opposition before tackling Slovenia on 13 June in Polokwane, and then Fabio Capello's men five days later.
Injury forces Arshavin out of Porto game
Andrei Arshavin has confirmed that he will miss tomorrow's Champions League game at Porto with a hamstring strain. Arshavin picked up the injury during Arsenal's crucial 1-0 Premier League victory over Liverpool last week. "If all goes well I get back on the pitch as early as the next Premier League match against Sunderland [on Saturday]," the 28-year-old Russian forward said yesterday. "However, the next game against Porto I will miss."
Cole's focus remains on Hammers' survival
Carlton Cole insists he is happy playing on at Upton Park after rumours surfaced linking him with a move away from West Ham during the January transfer window. A couple of clubs were reported to have enquired after the forward, however the England international is intent on ensuring the Hammers' Premier League survival, "I wasn't in the least bit interested in entertaining offers," said Cole. "My only focus was and still is to do the best I can for West Ham."
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Monaco match report: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain goal provides little consolation as Berbatov and Monaco stun Gunners
Fabio Cannavaro given jail sentence: World Cup winning captain gets 10-months for swimming in pool
Charlton sex tape: is the #sextratime Vine real or just another publicity stunt?
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
Financial Fair Play under threat: Brussels court case could potentially lead to rules being scrapped
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 5 Muslim women's rights campaigner writes heartfelt letter to girls thinking of joining Isis
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
Ukraine crisis: 'One miscalculation, and Britain faces an existential threat to our whole being...'