Football League round-up: Posh on top after mauling of Oldham

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Peterborough moved top of League One after coming from 2-0 down to hammer Oldham at London Road on Saturday. Richie Jones and Chris Taylor appeared to have put the visitors in control, but James Wesolowski's goal in first-half stoppage time proved a dramatic turning point.

Forwards Aaron McLean and George Boyd put Posh in front before Dave Hibbert replaced the former and got in on the act in the 82nd minute. Grant McCann added an injury-time penalty to round off a 5-2 success after Reuben Hazell fouled Boyd.

Carlisle are level with Posh on both points and goal difference after Craig Curran's first-half strike gave them a 1-0 victory at Sheffield Wednesday. Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Rochdale are a point behind after all winning. The Cherries crushed Dagenham and Redbridge 3-0 with goals from Jason Pearce, Josh McQuoid and Rhoys Wiggins.

Scott Arfield's third-minute goal set Huddersfield on their way at Leyton Orient. Jordan Rhodes added a second in the 78th minute but Town had to weather a late rally after Dean Cox immediately made it 2-1.

Gary Jones' penalty proved decisive as Rochdale prevailed by the odd goal in five against Walsall at Spotland. Josh Thompson and Anthony Elding also scored, with Jon Macken and Darren Byfield on the scoresheet for the Saddlers.

Southampton's dreadful start to the season continued as Charlie Austin earned Swindon a 1-0 home win, while Tranmere were beaten 3-1 at Yeovil. Dean Bowditch, Andy Welsh and Paul Huntington scored the Glovers' goals before Ian Thomas-Moore's late penalty.

John O'Flynn's brace ensured Exeter returned from the long trip to Hartlepool with a 3-2 win, while on-loan Newcastle youngster Kazenga LuaLua marked his league debut with a goal as Brighton beat MK Dons 2-0. Joe Anyinsah's late winner saw Charlton beat Notts County 1-0, Colchester and Plymouth drew 1-1 and it finished goalless between Bristol Rovers and Brentford.

In League Two, Shrewsbury suffered their first defeat of the season as Chris Palmer's double earned Gillingham the points. The midfielder opened the scoring from Jack Payne's 12th-minute cross and added a penalty (59) after Craig Disley fouled Danny Spiller. Adebayo Akinfenwa had had an earlier spot-kick saved. That saw Torquay take over the leadership of the division despite being held to a 0-0 draw by Accrington.