Gus Poyet loses appeal over dismissal by Brighton
Poyet was axed for gross misconduct last month
Tuesday 16 July 2013
Gus Poyet has lost his appeal against his sacking by Brighton, the club have confirmed.
Poyet was axed for gross misconduct last month having previously been suspended by the club in the aftermath of the play-off defeat by Crystal Palace.
Brighton have since appointed Oscar Garcia as head coach and today revealed that, after a two-day appeal hearing, Poyet's dismissal has been upheld.
A statement on the club's website read: "Following a suspension, investigation, disciplinary meeting, and separate appeal hearing, which was conducted by three members of the club's board in London on July 11 and July 12 2013, Brighton & Hove Albion today confirmed that after further consideration Gus Poyet's dismissal for gross misconduct has been upheld.
"The panel's decision was delivered to Gus Poyet and his advisers a short time ago.
"The club's internal disciplinary process is now complete. In line with the club's policy to ensure and maintain confidentiality and dignity throughout this process, no further details of the disciplinary or appeal hearings will be released at this time.
"Despite the extremely disappointing end to Mr Poyet's career with Brighton & Hove Albion, the club would like to acknowledge Mr Poyet's service to the club, which included leading the club to the Football League League One championship in 2011 and to its highest league finish for more than 30 years in 2013."
Poyet could now pursue the matter through the courts, according to the League Managers' Association which has vowed to continue to support the 45-year-old Uruguayan.
In a statement on the LMA website, chief executive Richard Bevan said: "I am really very surprised that the club has made the decision to dispense with the services of such an outstanding football manager as Gus Poyet.
"Gus has an excellent record of success with the club. We have every faith in Gus's integrity and have been impressed with the manner in which he has conducted himself during what, for him, has been an extremely difficult period.
"We have supported Gus throughout the disciplinary process and will continue to do so as required. We do not consider that the charges against him amounted to gross misconduct.
"Gus will now reflect on the outcome and discuss options with the legal team. It would, therefore, not be appropriate to make any further comment at this time."
Latest in Sport
Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Carl Jenkinson: Arsenal fullback joins West Ham on season-long loan
Liverpool transfer news: Brendan Rodgers plans more Anfield signings this summer
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho confirms Fernando Torres is staying at Stamford Bridge
- 1 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us