Ipswich Town 1 Stoke City 1: Haynes finds fizz for Ipswich as Stoke fail to step up

Click to follow
The Independent Football

The Ipswich Town manager Jim Magilton compared striker Danny Haynes to a bottle of pop after Saturday's 1-1 draw against Stoke City at Portman Road.

Haynes put his side into the lead with a neat finish after being teed up by Alan Lee. Ricardo Fuller equalised for Stoke but Magilton said of Haynes: "Joe Royle (Magilton's predecessor) got it right when he described him as a bottle of pop. Sometimes he's full of fizz and sometimes he's a bit flat.

"He's added some consistency to his game, though, and his work ethic and attitude has been first class, not only in matches but every day in training.

"If he keeps applying himself in the same way he can be anything he wants to be."

Magilton felt a point each was fair and said: "We started excellently. We scored a terrific goal from our most dangerous player. But it was as though we waited for something else to happen. Stoke aren't fourth in the table for no reason. They showed great determination to get a result and, overall, a point each was fair."

Stoke manager Tony Pulis felt his side should have been awarded a late penalty after an alleged foul by Town goalkeeper Neil Alexander on Jon Parkin.

"It was an embarrassing decision and the referee couldn't have been in a better position. I've just seen it again and the goalkeeper totally took out Jon's legs." said Pullis. "We came here and gave it a real go. Ipswich are a very good team, especially at home, and their front players can all score goals. They gave us some scary moments but we had the best chance of the second half, when their goalkeeper saved from Ricardo."

Pulis praised goal hero Fuller and said: "He's exciting and can do things other players at this club aren't capable of."

Ipswich had taken the lead during the first half. Lee rolled the ball to Haynes and the midfielder skipped past Carl Dickinson, before slotting a low shot in off the far post beyond goalkeeper Steve Simonsen. Haynes had two other efforts well saved before Stoke drew level through Fuller. Danny Pugh fed him after a raid down the left and the Jamaican neatly took the pass in his stride before lashing a low effort beyond Alexander.

After the break, Stoke's best opportunity again fell to Fuller, when he passed David Wright and Sito and into a one-on-one position with Alexander. However, the goalkeeper dived at his feet to avert the danger.

Goals: Haynes (19) 1-0, Fuller (33) 1-1.

Ipswich (4-4-2): Alexander; Sito, Bruce, De Vos, Wright; Haynes, Miller (Legwinski 80), Garvan, Walters; Lee, Counago (Clarke 86). Substitutes not used: Supple, Wilnis, Peters.

Stoke (4-4-2): Simonsen; Wilkinson (Zakuani 19), Shawcross, Cort, Dickinson (Parkin 65); Lawrence, Eustace, Pugh, Delap; Fuller, Cresswell. Substitutes not used: Hoult, Pericard, Pulis.

Referee: K Stroud (Hampshire)

Booked: Ipswich De Vos, Legwinski, Haynes. Stoke: Fuller, Cresswell.

Man of the match: Fuller.

Attendance: 20,346.