Macclesfield appoint Brian Horton until end of the season
Monday 19 March 2012
Macclesfield have appointed Brian Horton as their new manager until the end of the season.
The Silkmen sacked Gary Simpson yesterday following the weekend defeat to Dagenham and a winless run of 14 games that leaves the club outside the npower League Two relegation zone on goal difference.
Former Manchester City and Port Vale boss Horton returns for a second spell at the Moss Rose having taken charge in similar circumstances in April 2004.
After steering Macclesfield to Football League safety he guided them to the Division Three play-offs the following season, where they came up short against Lincoln at the semi-final stage.
Horton has not managed since his departure from the club in 2006, instead serving as assistant to Phil Brown at Hull and Preston.
The first game of the 63-year-old's second spell with Macclesfield will be Tuesday night's trip to Rotherham where he will be assisted by Simpson's number two, Glyn Chamberlain.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools