Rampant Rushden remove Burnley

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Rushden & Diamonds provided the surprise of the night in the first round of the Worthington Cup after the Nationwide League newcomers bundled out First Division Burnley at Turf Moor.

Brian Talbot's Third Division side stunned the Clarets, who had been victorious in both league games so far this season, with a 3-2 victory. Mark Peters gave the Diamonds a fifth-minute lead and Tarkan Mustafa doubled the advantage five minutes into the second half. Although Alan Moore replied five minutes later, Duane Darby – once rejected by Burnley – sealed the success 14 minutes from time. Mark McGregor's 84th-minute goal could not spark a Burnley equaliser.

Other First Division sides to leave the competition at the hands of lower-league opposition were Portsmouth, Wimbledon and Norwich. The Dons succumbed to a 2-1 defeat at Brighton. Bobby Zamora found the net twice in eight minutes after Mark Williams had given Wimbledon the lead.

Goals by Mick Stockwell and Kemal Izzet gave Colchester a 2-1 victory at Portsmouth, whose reply came from Peter Crouch, while Norwich succumbed to a last-minute Kevin O'Connor goal at Brentford.

The goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall was on the scoresheet for Notts County in an incident-packed tie at Mansfield. The 23-year-old netted in the 34th minute of the 4-3 success with a free-kick from his own half.

Mildenhall's mammoth punt eluded everybody and found the net to leave his opposite number, the former Manchester United keeper Kevin Pilkington, embarrassed. The Magpies were helped to their triumph by a 10-minute hat-trick from the former Manchester City striker Danny Allsopp, while County's Richard Liburd was sent off in the 85th minute for violent conduct, his second red card in three days.

Elsewhere, Crystal Palace hit back from 2-0 down to win 4-2 at Leyton Orient, Clinton Morrison and Tommy Black each scoring twice. Brett Ormerod hit a 29-minute second-half hat-trick to give Blackpool victory in a five-goal thriller with Wigan.

Queen's Park Rangers led 1-0 going into the last minute of their game at Northampton, courtesy of Ian Evatt's 16th-minute own-goal. But they were taken into extra-time by Jamie Forrester's strike and were beaten by Paul McGregor's 110th-minute winner.