That was very disappointing, says Jones after Cardiff let it slip

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Cardiff manager Dave Jones was left to rue two dropped points after his side were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Burnley in the Championship on Tuesday night.

Steven Thompson stepped off the bench to head a deserved late equaliser against his former club after Michael Chopra had given the Bluebirds the lead in first-half stoppage time.

While the draw sees Cardiff go a point clear in second place, it means QPR's lead at the top is five points. Jones said: "It was a difficult game and we probably should have seen it out but the manner we conceded so late on was very disappointing."

The point meant Nottingham Forest had the chance to leapfrog Cardiff into second last night if they were able to win at struggling Scunthorpe.

Burnley are now just five points off the play-offs and manager Eddie Howe claimed the Clarets could have won. He said: "We bossed possession, particularly in the second half and although before the game I would have been pleased with a point, now it's over I think we should have had all three."

Ipswich manager Paul Jewell paid tribute to hat-trick hero Connor Wickham but was at pains to stress the importance of a squad effort following his side's 6-0 thrashing of Doncaster. Town have won four of six league games since Jewell took over at Portman Road last month and a Sam Hird own goal as well as Colin Healy and Gareth McAuley strikes and Wickham's hat-trick ensured victory. "He's 17 and he's got people talking about him," Jewell said. "He's got huge potential, everybody knows that.But we have to be careful to not just focus on him because he's part of a squad."

Doncaster boss Sean O'Driscoll made his exasperation clear with an abrupt and brief contribution to his post-match press conference. "First stupid question then, come on," he began. After adding "Come on, ask me something I can answer", O'Driscoll quickly followed with "Right, see ya" and left the room to bring proceedings to a close.

Sheffield United manager Micky Adams admitted his side were fortunate to claim a point in their 1-1 draw with Reading. The Royals dominated for large periods of the game and Blades goalkeeper Steve Simonsen had to make several fine saves before he was finally beaten when Shane Long slotted home from Jobi McAnuff's through ball in the 81st minute.

However, seven minutes later, Andy Griffin rashly challenged Daniel Bogdanovic in the area and the substitute got up to net the resulting penalty.

Phil Brown is still looking for his first win as Preston manager after being denied by two goals in the last 20 minutes in a 2-2 draw at Watford. Captain Sean St Ledger took just 40 seconds to put North End ahead and Leon Clarke doubled the lead before half-time to put Brown in position to pick up his maiden victory at the helm. But Watford substitutes Matt Whichelow and Adam Thompson replied after the break.