Yorath wants permanent position

Click to follow

Terry Yorath, the Sheffield Wednesday caretaker manager, has made it clear that he would like job at Hillsborough on a permanent basis after the 2-1 win over Walsall on Saturday.

Wednesday secured their first home League win of the season in Yorath's first game in charge following Peter Shreeves' resignation. Goals from Gerald Sibon and Pablo Bonvin secured the three points for the Owls and afterwards Yorath said: "Yes I want it, why not? But at the minute I am just getting on with the job. I've got another year left on my contract so we will have to see what happens.

"I am not worrying about it too much. But I enjoy being here and this is a big football club which deserves to be in a better position."

The Owls had to come from behind after Walsall had taken a 19th-minute lead through the striker Darren Byfield and Yorath was far from happy from his side's start.

"In the first half we were dreadful," said Yorath. "We didn't look to take the game to Walsall. We were really negative. We were sending two passes forward but then seven passes back.

"At half-time I decided to change it and luckily it worked. The win will give the players a great confidence boost ahead of the game with Barnsley.

"The crowd deserved to give the players stick at half-time, but it was good to see them get behind their players the way they did in the second half.

"No one was a leader in the first half. But in the second we took the game to them and snatched the three points.

"I thought Carlton Palmer was excellent in the second half. He dug in when we needed leaders on the pitch and I think we got that in the second half."

In the Second Division, Brentford's fourth successive win kept them on top of the table, Stephen Hunt grabbing both goals in the 2-0 win over Bournemouth on Saturday. But Hunt spoiled his performance when was sent off after 78 minutes for a professional foul.

Peter Taylor's reign as Brighton manager started on a good note with a 3-0 win over high-flying Oldham, who succumbed to their third successive defeat. Paul Rogers put the Seagulls in front after seven minutes and Lee Steele scored two more before the half hour.

Bristol City's unbeaten home record ended when Jermaine McSporran scored to give Wycombe Wanderers a 1-0 win at Ashton Gate in a match delayed by half an hour because of traffic congestion.

The Chairboys – unbeaten in six games – move up to fifth and Peterborough are fourth after coming back from two goals down to beat Blackpool 3-2 at London Road.