Abou Diaby set for swift return
Thursday 13 September 2012
Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, has played down the seriousness of Abou Diaby's latest injury, claiming the midfielder could even be fit for the game against Southampton this weekend.
Diaby hurt his hip after scoring the winner in France's 1-0 victory in Finland on Friday. The 26-year-old missed his country's win over Belarus on Tuesday as a result, but Wenger said: "He has slight pain on the hip, on the sartorius muscle. It doesn't seem serious at all to me. He even has a small chance to play on Saturday."
Reports in France suggested he would return for Tuesday's opening Champions League match against Montpellier.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more