African Cup of Nations: Third place is Sow sweet for happy Mali
Monday 13 February 2012
Midfielder Samba Sow was dancing in front of his team-mates in jubilation after his Mali side secured an unexpected 2-0 victory over 10-man Ghana in the third-place match at the African Cup of Nations on Saturday. It was the country's best finish at the tournament since it lost the 1972 final.
Sow, the 22-year-old Lens player, simply could not hide his delight after forward Cheick Tidiane Diabaté struck twice to help Mali prevail in a match which saw Ghanaian defender Isaac Vorsah dismissed in the second half.
Mali's coach Alain Giresse danced on to the field at the final whistle before being held aloft by his ecstatic squad of players.
Mali supporters were determined to enjoy the occasion regardless of the result as pockets of fans arrived with guitars and drums ready to play and beat in the stands.
The victory in Malabo, capital of Equatorial Guinea, atoned for Mali's 2-0 defeat at the hands of Ghana in the group stages. The Ghanaians, four-times champions, finished the tournament with successive defeats after their shock semi-final failure against Zambia.
Latest in Sport
Jose Mourinho: 'The dogs bark and the caravan goes by,' Chelsea manager gives cryptic assessment after Blues win title
Floyd Mayweather next opponent: Mayweather more likely to pick a former foe than a fresh contender like Amir Khan in Las Vegas lottery
Manchester United transfer news: Adnan Januzaj to be offered in deal for Memphis Depay
Arsenal transfer news: Tomas Rosicky and Mathieu Flamini set for showdown summer talks over future
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger reveals: 'We are not close to signing anybody. We need to lose some players'
- 1 Technology company Alibaba posts job advert asking for 'stunning' women with qualities of adult film actress Sora Aoi
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 4 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want