Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil wins Germany player of the year award
A poll was conducted among fans, with the former Real Madrid player coming out on top
Wednesday 08 January 2014
Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has been named Germany's national player of the year following a fans' poll conducted by the German Football Federation.
The award is the 25-year-old's third in succession as he finished with more than 30 per cent of the votes, ahead of Bayern Munich pair Phillip Lahm and Thomas Muller.
He told dfb.de: "This award makes me proud and happy.
"Above all, because (the vote) was carried out by the fans."
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Mario Balotelli posts hilarious Beatles picture on Instagram as he awaits Liverpool debut
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
Champions League draw: Liverpool meet Real Madrid, but should they fear facing the reigning champions?
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live