Arsenal transfer news: Joel Campbell will get a chance next season, says Arsene Wenger
Costa Rican striker was impressive in 3-1 win against Uruguay
Costa Rican striker Joel Campbell will be given a chance to prove himself at Arsenal next season.
Campbell was brilliant in his nation's shock 3-1 victory over Uruguay in their World Cup opener, scoring the equaliser with a thumping shot and setting up the third with a beautifully weighted pass.
Wenger has now stated the 21-year-old will be part of his first team plans next season.
The Gunners boss is in Brazil for French TV and confirmed Campbell's promotion.
"He will definitely come back to us for pre-season," Wenger told the Daily Mail. "He is maturing well."
Campbell has been out on loan since 2011 needing to get more first team football and a work permit.
He has been in France with Lorient, in Spain with Real Betis and spent last year with Greek champions Olympiacos, impressing against Manchester United in the knockout stages.
The young striker scored nine goals last season but also spent time on the right wing.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal and Puma unveil world's first left-footed football
Italy vs England player ratings: Did Andros Townsend's goal see him beat Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney to top marks?
Liverpool's best XI of the season so far: Raheem Sterling should play in the front three while Steven Gerrard remains on the bench
WWE Raw results: Brock Lesnar suspended for post-Wrestlemania 31 rampage after losing title to Seth Rollins
Liverpool injury news: Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren expected to be ready for Arsenal clash
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 3 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims