Arsenal transfer news: Joel Campbell will get a chance next season, says Arsene Wenger
Costa Rican striker was impressive in 3-1 win against Uruguay
Monday 16 June 2014
Costa Rican striker Joel Campbell will be given a chance to prove himself at Arsenal next season.
Campbell was brilliant in his nation's shock 3-1 victory over Uruguay in their World Cup opener, scoring the equaliser with a thumping shot and setting up the third with a beautifully weighted pass.
Wenger has now stated the 21-year-old will be part of his first team plans next season.
The Gunners boss is in Brazil for French TV and confirmed Campbell's promotion.
"He will definitely come back to us for pre-season," Wenger told the Daily Mail. "He is maturing well."
Campbell has been out on loan since 2011 needing to get more first team football and a work permit.
He has been in France with Lorient, in Spain with Real Betis and spent last year with Greek champions Olympiacos, impressing against Manchester United in the knockout stages.
The young striker scored nine goals last season but also spent time on the right wing.
Latest in Sport
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence