Australia vs Spain player ratings World Cup 2014: Did David Villa top score in his last international game?
Australia 0 Spain 3: A closer look at the individual performances
Monday 23 June 2014
Spain were able to leave Brazil with their heads held a little higher than they might have been thanks to a resounding victory over Australia in Curitiba.
David Villa opened the scoring with a fine flick off the inside of his heel during the first half. Spain's all-time leading scorer was later substituted before breaking down in tears after what was probably his last game for La Roja.
Back on the pitch, Chelsea striker Fernando Torres managed to find the back of the net before Manchester United's Juan Mata completed the scoring shortly before the end.
The result meant the reigning champions ended the Group Stage with three points while Australia lost all their games.
Who do you think was man-of-the-match? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs West Brom: Jose Mourinho says Diego Costa is ready for ‘marathon’ Christmas
Arsenal vs Manchester United: Arsene Wenger insists clash at the Emirates Stadium remains battle of the giants
Tim Sherwood column: If David Moyes' bold move works it will open doors for British managers
Cesc Fabregas, Jack Wilshere, Yaya Toure or Steven Gerrard? No, it's Mile Jedinak who is the best midfielder in the Premier League
Manchester United transfer news: Robin van Persie could leave this summer with Edinson Cavani and Thomas Muller on United wish-list
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Largest ever study into the gay gene 'erodes the notion that sexual orientation is a choice'