Beckham: I may miss World Cup
Sunday 14 March 2010
David Beckham has admitted to fearing for his place in England's World Cup squad if he does not play regularly until the end of the season. "I am not guaranteed to go to South Africa at all," he said. "I have to work hard and hopefully win my place. There are a few months left and plenty of games but hopefully I can carry on playing well and get in the squad."
The widespread belief that Beckham will make the final 23 is based on the assumption that he maintains match fitness but he played less than half an hour for Milan in their Champions' League tie at Manchester United last Wednesday. England's manager Fabio Capello has always maintained he can only pick players who appear regularly. Beckham is also competing for an oversubscribed area of the team against Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright-Phillips, and Theo Walcott.
Meanwhile, Beckham's gesture in donning a green and gold scarf at Old Trafford has boosted the campaign against the club's owners, the Glazer family. Membership of the Manchester United Supporters Trust last night reached 135,000 from 36,000 a month ago.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Chelsea: Praise to Arsene Wenger for having the courage of his convictions
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: The biggest fight of all time, or maybe just the most lucrative?
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
Sir Alex Ferguson reveals who he thinks is better between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi
- 1 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 2 Why this father didn’t hide his daughter’s heroin overdose in her obituary
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 The most powerful passports in the world