Beckham: I may miss World Cup
Sunday 14 March 2010
David Beckham has admitted to fearing for his place in England's World Cup squad if he does not play regularly until the end of the season. "I am not guaranteed to go to South Africa at all," he said. "I have to work hard and hopefully win my place. There are a few months left and plenty of games but hopefully I can carry on playing well and get in the squad."
The widespread belief that Beckham will make the final 23 is based on the assumption that he maintains match fitness but he played less than half an hour for Milan in their Champions' League tie at Manchester United last Wednesday. England's manager Fabio Capello has always maintained he can only pick players who appear regularly. Beckham is also competing for an oversubscribed area of the team against Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright-Phillips, and Theo Walcott.
Meanwhile, Beckham's gesture in donning a green and gold scarf at Old Trafford has boosted the campaign against the club's owners, the Glazer family. Membership of the Manchester United Supporters Trust last night reached 135,000 from 36,000 a month ago.
Latest in Sport
David Moyes sacked: Moyes breaks his silence over Manchester United sacking
Louis van Gaal: Manchester United top target could replace Arsene Wenger at Arsenal instead as Gunners go Dutch next season
Liverpool transfer targets: Who might they sign this summer?
David Moyes sacked: Manchester United's potential summer transfer targets as season hits a new low
Liverpool transfer news: Brendan Rodgers to be given record funds to prepare for Champions League
- 1 William Shakespeare's 450th birthday: 50 everyday phrases that came from the Bard
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Man gives barefoot bus passenger the shoes off his feet
- 4 Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Concerns grow among search officials that missing jet ‘may have landed somewhere else’
- 5 50-year mystery of the ocean ‘quack’ finally solved by scientists