Berbatov quits international football
Thursday 13 May 2010
Bulgaria captain Dimitar Berbatov has announced his retirement from international football.
Manchester United striker Berbatov made 74 appearances for his country and scored a record 48 goals.
However, his performances in the team's failed World Cup qualifying campaign drew widespread criticism in his homeland.
Speaking at a press conference in Sofia, he said: "I came to the decision that as of now I have retired from the national team.
"It wasn't a decision I took lightly and I have reconsidered several times.
"Everything has a beginning and an end and that is today."
The 29-year-old added: "I feel exhausted and now there are many guys who can emerge from my shadow.
"For them the moment has come.
"You should always know when to stop.
"I haven't discussed it with my club team.
"I guess it will come out in England and Sir Alex (Ferguson) will call me."
Berbatov broke Bulgaria's all-time goalscoring record previously held by Hristo Bonev with two in November's friendly against Malta.
But he has struggled to make an impact at Old Trafford following his £30.75million move from White Hart Lane in August 2008, scoring just 26 goals in two seasons.
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United winger to wear iconic No 7 shirt
England manager Roy Hodgson lectures Luke Shaw over fitness issues
Champions League draw: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City learn group stage fate
- 1 Students heading off to 'charity challenge' grounded at Gatwick after travel firm goes bust
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Like Jennifer Aniston, I am no less of a woman because I am childless