Brazil star Melo came close to quitting football
Monday 04 October 2010
Juventus midfielder Felipe Melo has revealed that he was ready to quit football following Brazil's disappointing 2-1 World Cup quarter-final loss to Netherlands in South Africa this summer.
The tough-tackling anchorman deflected in Wesley Sneijder's effort to cancel out Robinho's effort before seeing red for stamping on Arjen Robben.
Sneijder added a second to condemn the five-time world champions to defeat with Melo taking the flak for their exit and it was enough for him to consider his future before reflecting on his errors.
"After the World Cup I no longer had the motivation to play," Melo told La Repubblica.
"I had no joy in it anymore and had decided to leave football. I played a decent World Cup, but in Brazil everyone said we had gone out because of me.
"Those who understand football know that we were going to go out anyway. You just had to look in the eyes of the Dutch players before my red card to realise it.
"I am not an angel, but I understood that I could be hard without going over the top."
Latest in Sport
FA Cup: Arsenal v Everton match preview
Ashley Cole and Luke Shaw rise to the bait to deny they are the rumoured 'gay England footballer'
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United: Is Wayne Rooney really in Robin van Persie’s way at United?
Robin van Persie: Manchester United manager David Moyes a 'little bit surprised' after striker plays 90 minutes for Netherlands day after being sick
Chelsea v Tottenham: Tim Sherwood claims the pressure is off as Spurs look to end dreadful record at Stamford Bridge
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it