Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: Brazil pay tribute to the injured Neymar by holding his shirt during the national anthem
Captain David Luiz and goalkeeper Julio Cesar held the jersey
Tuesday 08 July 2014
Brazil showed their support for the injured Neymar before their World Cup semi-final against Germany with captain David Luiz and goalkeeper Julio Cesar holding his No 10 shirt while they sang the national anthem.
The poster boy of the tournament, Neymar, suffered a broken back after a wild challenge from Colombia's Juan Zuniga during the 2-1 quarter-final win.
Neymar initially feared he was paralysed straight after the incident, and it was soon confirmed that he would be out for up to six weeks, ending his participation at the World Cup.
In a video message for his fans earlier this week, a tearful Neymar said: "I want to tell you that I'll be back to the field as soon as possible. I would like to thank you for your support and affection expressed through the messages that have been sent to me.
"My dream has not ended yet, it was suspended due to a move, but it is still alive. I am sure my partners will make sure I can achieve my dream, which is to be a champion."
World's most lethal spider found under a bunch of bananas
Rumours that the star wants to move on to pastures new
TV presenter Fiona Bruce seemed a bit startled by the find during the filming of Antiques Roadshow
Comedian says he 'never laughed as hard as I have writing with Rik'
Latest in Sport
Harry Redknapp: 'Adel Taarabt is about three stone overweight. I can't pick him'
QPR vs Liverpool match report: Liverpool snatch victory in seven minutes of madness
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce calm over lack of new contract
QPR vs Liverpool player ratings: Who was the star man? And did Mario Balotelli emerge with any credit?
Radamel Falcao: How faith and love drive the Manchester United striker to glory
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientists who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia dubbed 'bit of plastic' by Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
- 5 Michael McIntyre walks off stage after woman in the front row uses her phone