Brazil vs Netherlands World Cup 2014: Dirk Kuyt had head wound stapled during third-place play-off match
Dutchman sustained a head injury during match with Brazil
Sunday 13 July 2014
The third-place play-off might be the least popular fixture in the World Cup, but Dirk Kuyt was in no mood to miss out on the action yesterday.
The Dutchman received a head wound during a clash with Maxwell during the game, but was so desperate to play on that he got his side's medical team to staple his head shut.
Kuyt, cut his head open during aerial challenge for the ball in the first half, and was bleeding reasonably heavily.
However after being checked over by his team's doctors, he continued to play on, his head stapled back together.
Kuyt is left bloodied after clashing heads with Maxwell of Brazil Dirk Kuyt has his head stapled together after an accidental clash with Maxwell The Netherlands finished the game as comfortable 3-0 winners, with goals from Robin van Persie, Daley Blind and Georginio Wijnaldum.
Latest in Sport
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders