Fabio Capello will take his time before recommending the Englishman he wants to join his coaching team, the Football Association said yesterday. The fall-out from England's poor performances during the World Cup saw Capello agree last week to add another English coach to his staff alongside Stuart Pearce and Ray Clemence.
A number of young coaches and former players have been linked with the role. But Club England managing director Adrian Bevington yesterday revealed that Capello had yet to offer any names to his employers and would not do so before discussing the matter with FA director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking at the beginning of next month.
"Fabio volunteered he wanted another English coach to join his set-up when we met him last week," Bevington said. "We were pleased to hear this as we want to introduce a wider pool of English coaches moving forward.
"Fabio was clear he didn't want us to offer names immediately, instead stressing he wanted more time to consider who it should be, then discuss it in more detail with Sir Trevor Brooking during the first week of August.
"Therefore, any speculation as to who it might be cannot be made with any real conviction. Fabio hasn't offered his preference, we haven't said ours and no one has been approached."
Brooking revealed on Friday the FA hoped Capello's successor as England manager would be English but Bevington insisted that man would not necessarily be the new coach in the set-up. "Any new coach is not being selected so they can automatically take over from Fabio in two years," he said. "Hopefully we will have a group of Englishmen to consider at that time."
Bevington also said the removal of a clause in Capello's four-year contract which would have allowed a parting of the ways after the World Cup had nothing to do with money. The clause in the Italian's original deal was taken out shortly before the tournament in South Africa, the build-up to which saw Capello linked with the Internazionale job.
Bevington said: "Fabio's original contract, which had a clause allowing either party to terminate for a short period after the World Cup, was not without financial penalty. If we had left the clause in, the FA would still have been liable for several million pounds. Without the clause, after negotiation, it would have been a similar figure.
"Therefore, the reason the original clause was removed was to show faith and commitment on both sides. So the decision to retain Fabio was not a financial one, it was based on football criteria alone."
Capello's bid to repair his dented reputation will begin with next month's friendly against Hungary. Bevington acknowledged supporters disillusioned with England's limp World Cup displays may choose to stay away from Wembley on 11 August. "Like the whole country, everyone involved with the team and at the FA has been massively disappointed by the World Cup performance," he said.
Meanwhile, Capello will have nothing to do with the controversial Capello Index while he remains England manager, the FA has confirmed. The FA had been confident the website would be removed from the internet by the end of yesterday. But it was still available to view by early evening, with the delay in taking it down said to be due to technical issues.
Bevington has confirmed Capello would now have no input into the site while in charge of the national team. "After the developments of the weekend, this will not happen while Fabio is England manager," he said. "We have been consistent with this view, but managed sensitively."Reuse content