Carvalho storms out on Portugal at 'lack of respect'
Thursday 01 September 2011
Ricardo Carvalho retired from international football last night ahead of Portugal's Euro 2012 qualifier against Cyprus, with the Real Madrid defender saying he had been "disrespected" before he walked out of Paulo Bento's squad.
"I feel in full physical and mental form, as I have shown for my club and country, but if I am made to feel unnecessary and am not told so, then the only way is out," Carvalho said. "I have never before felt so disrespected and wounded in my dignity."
Latest in Sport
Newcaslte vs Everton: Latest news and score plus the rest of today's Premier League action, including Manchester United and Chelsea reaction
Arsenal transfer news: William Carvalho to be subject of £20m bid
West Ham 1 Arsenal 2 player ratings: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain? Andy Carroll? Alexis Sanchez? Who was the star man?
Manchester United defender Luke Shaw renting £3.85m home from Cristiano Ronaldo
Liverpool transfer news: Mario Balotelli’s going nowhere and we don’t want striker
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C