Chris Coleman ends Crystal Palace speculation by signing new Wales contract
There had been uncertainty over the former Fulham manager's future
Friday 15 November 2013
Chris Coleman will remain in charge of Wales for their Euro 2016 qualifying campaign after signing a new two-year contract extension, the Football Association of Wales has announced.
The future of Coleman, 43, had been in doubt after the FAW chose to hold fire on a new deal following September defeats to Macedonia and Serbia during a disappointing World Cup effort.
But the Dragons finished the campaign with a win over Macedonia and an excellent draw in Belgium, despite having a squad decimated by injury, and recent talks over an extension progressed positively.
The FAW confirmed Coleman's deal at a press conference in Cardiff on Friday, where he was flanked by president Trefor Lloyd Hughes and chief executive Jonathan Ford.
The former Fulham boss said: "People have spoken about whether I would sign a new deal, but I am delighted to extend it and I am looking forward to the challenges that will come.
"I have two years of experience in the job and we will be better for it.
"I am delighted to have been given the opportunity, by Trefor and Jonathan and the FAW council, to lead my country into the next campaign and I am looking forward to it."
Coleman had also been linked with the vacancy at Crystal Palace, but claimed he was never tempted to take the job and was not approached by the Selhurst Park club.
"The honour of doing the Welsh job is bigger than with any job I will ever do," he said.
"It has been really hard at times but at other times it has been fantastic and I don't want to hand that feeling on to someone else. I want to finish what I started with these players."
Latest in Sport
Gareth Bale to quit Real Madrid? Wales international will 'resist' interest from Manchester United and Chelsea
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Zab Judah denies flooring Mayweather during sparring as he prepares for 2 May
Malaysian GP 2015: Silverstone chief warns European Grands Prix are in peril without government funding
Perro Aguayo Jr. dead: Funeral for Mexican wrestler Pedro Aguayo Ramirez as Rey Mysterio Jr. receives death threats
Malaysian GP 2015: One by one, the iconic venues fall silent as F1 follows the money east
- 2 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 3 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 4 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 5 Woman held in psychiatric ward after (correctly) saying Obama follows her on Twitter