Dalglish stands by Carroll after Capello fuels doubts
England manager warns striker he will miss out on Euro 2012 unless the goals flow
Liverpool's manager Kenny Dalglish has strongly defended his £35 million signing Andy Carroll after Fabio Capello said the striker must improve his form and fitness to come close to a return to the England squad.
Even with Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch left out of last week's international friendlies against Spain and Sweden, and Gabriel Agbonlahor withdrawing, Carroll was ignored and already looks an outsider for a place at Euro 2012.
He has scored only two League goals this season and was warned by the England manager that he needed to cut down on his drinking.
After England's game against Sweden on Tuesday, Capello said: "If he is in good condition and good form he will be selected. Andy Carroll is a good player, a good talent, but probably in this moment he needs to wait. He needs to score goals. For forwards it is like a drug." But with Carroll hoping for the chance to go head-to-head at Stamford Bridge this afternoon with the one Premier League player to have cost more money, Chelsea's Fernando Torres, Dalglish defended his man.
He said: "We're delighted with Andy Carroll so I don't know where people get their ideas from. Andy will settle in, there's no problem whatsoever. We've been delighted with that he's done."
Detective novelist who wrote Death comes to Pemberley passed away peacefully at her home, aged 94
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener 'fights for his life'
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund player ratings: Who was the star man at the Emirates? Alexis Sanchez? Santi Cazorla? Or Yaya Sanogo?
Phil Hughes: A swashbuckling, raw and talented batsman who had the world at his feet
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund report: Yaya Sanogo and Alexis Sanchez are on target as Gunners secure impressive victory
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 1 'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
- 2 Ridley Scott on Exodus, Gods and Kings casting: 'I'm not going to get it financed if my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such'
- 3 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 4 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school