Danny Welbeck called up to England squad
Striker Danny Welbeck has been called into the England squad for the first time following the withdrawal of Aaron Lennon.
The Football Association confirmed last night that Lennon had been released back to Tottenham as a precaution after he experienced discomfort in his hamstring at the end of yesterday's training session ahead of the friendly with Ghana.
Initially it was suggested there would be no replacement. However, coach Fabio Capello has now changed his mind and drafted Welbeck, a Manchester United player currently on loan at Sunderland, into the squad.
Welbeck has enjoyed an outstanding season at Sunderland and had been tipped for a full international call before now.
He made a goalscoring appearance for the England Under-21 side in their crushing win over Denmark on Thursday but was one of the players released back to his club by coach Stuart Pearce.
With Liverpool's Andy Carroll earmarked for a start against the Black Stars and Tottenham duo Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe also in Capello's squad the move looks very much like the Italian covering his back in case of further mishaps.
However, the experience will serve Welbeck well ahead of a likely place at this summer's European Under-21 Championships.
Latest in Sport
Sky Sports and BT Sport announce Premier League live matches for 2015/16 with Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in action
Wimbledon 2015: Dustin Brown knocks Rafael Nadal out of the championship
Football kits 2015/16: The good, the bad and the downright worst new shirts from around the world for next season
Chelsea 2015/16 home shirt leaked again as new picture appears online
Dustin Brown: Who is the world number 102 who knocked Rafael Nadal out of Wimbledon?
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly