Danny Welbeck called up to England squad
Striker Danny Welbeck has been called into the England squad for the first time following the withdrawal of Aaron Lennon.
The Football Association confirmed last night that Lennon had been released back to Tottenham as a precaution after he experienced discomfort in his hamstring at the end of yesterday's training session ahead of the friendly with Ghana.
Initially it was suggested there would be no replacement. However, coach Fabio Capello has now changed his mind and drafted Welbeck, a Manchester United player currently on loan at Sunderland, into the squad.
Welbeck has enjoyed an outstanding season at Sunderland and had been tipped for a full international call before now.
He made a goalscoring appearance for the England Under-21 side in their crushing win over Denmark on Thursday but was one of the players released back to his club by coach Stuart Pearce.
With Liverpool's Andy Carroll earmarked for a start against the Black Stars and Tottenham duo Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe also in Capello's squad the move looks very much like the Italian covering his back in case of further mishaps.
However, the experience will serve Welbeck well ahead of a likely place at this summer's European Under-21 Championships.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Chelsea: Mutual contempt burns as rivals Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho face off again
Memphis Depay to Manchester United: Striker 'arrives in England' for talks over £25m switch
Wayne Rooney is Premier League's richest footballer with £72million worth but Lewis Hamilton leads the Sunday Times Rich List
Memphis Depay to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal faces difficult task as Liverpool hold 'secret' meeting with transfer target
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
- 1 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 2 Black Mass trailer: Johnny Depp might have started making good films again
- 3 Jacob Lescenski and Anthony Martinez: Straight student asks gay friend to High School prom and makes a million Twitter friends
- 4 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'