Danny Welbeck pulls out of England friendly
Tuesday 15 November 2011
Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck has been withdrawn from England's friendly international with Sweden at Wembley tonight because of a muscle strain.
Welbeck suffered the setback when appearing as a late substitute during Saturday's 1-0 Wembley success over World Cup winners Spain.
England head coach Fabio Capello intimated yesterday that Welbeck was doubtful for tonight's clash and the 20-year-old returned to Old Trafford this afternoon.
The injury is not being viewed as anything serious but it has been decided not to risk Welbeck against the Swedes.
Welbeck made his senior England debut against Ghana in March and then featured as a late substitute in last month's Euro 2012 qualifier with Montenegro in Podgorica.
He earned praise from Capello after his performance in the final 20 minutes against Spain after replacing Darren Bent.
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has intimated Welbeck is ready for international football and he has scored five times in 12 appearances for the Red Devils this season.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises