Danny Welbeck pulls out of England friendly
Tuesday 15 November 2011
Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck has been withdrawn from England's friendly international with Sweden at Wembley tonight because of a muscle strain.
Welbeck suffered the setback when appearing as a late substitute during Saturday's 1-0 Wembley success over World Cup winners Spain.
England head coach Fabio Capello intimated yesterday that Welbeck was doubtful for tonight's clash and the 20-year-old returned to Old Trafford this afternoon.
The injury is not being viewed as anything serious but it has been decided not to risk Welbeck against the Swedes.
Welbeck made his senior England debut against Ghana in March and then featured as a late substitute in last month's Euro 2012 qualifier with Montenegro in Podgorica.
He earned praise from Capello after his performance in the final 20 minutes against Spain after replacing Darren Bent.
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has intimated Welbeck is ready for international football and he has scored five times in 12 appearances for the Red Devils this season.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Lukas Podolski corner: Has the Arsenal forward taken the worst corner of all time?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
- 1 Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men