England game with Ireland in May 'unlikely'
Wednesday 14 December 2011
The Football Association of Ireland chief executive, John Delaney, has admitted a friendly against England before Euro 2012 is unlikely.
England could meet the Republic of Ireland in the quarter-finals of next summer's tournament in Poland and Ukraine. But Delaney said: "The England game is looking less likely for May. The fact from the English perspective is that we could play them in the quarter-finals... they're not that keen to do it in May, but they're keen to come sooner rather than later after that."
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers