Euro 2012 Diary: Denmark and Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner caught with his trousers down
Friday 15 June 2012
Nicklas Bendtner looks set to be punished by Uefa for his celebration against Portugal on Wednesday. The Arsenal striker, who scored twice in the 3-2 defeat, lifted his shirt and lowered his shorts after his second goal to reveal underpants sponsored by bookmaker Paddy Power. This contradicts Uefa's policy that "all kit items worn during the final tournament must be free of any sponsor advertising". The furore has echoes of an episode in South Africa during the 2010 World Cup, when ITV pundit Robbie Earle was sacked after accusations that tickets attributed to him were used by a Dutch beer company during an ambush marketing campaign.
UEFA eventually tune in to England's band
They have long been the bane of England internationals at Wembley and abroad, and now the European Championship will suffer. Uefa have confirmed that the England supporters' band will be allowed to play inside the stadium in Kiev against Sweden tonight, after having their instruments confiscated before Monday's match with France. Although not universally popular with fans, their support may be a blessing, with Sweden supporters expected to outnumber the English by four to one.
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
David Gold furious after Carlton Cole parody account mocks up a picture of West Ham chairman as a suspect in the Madeleine McCann case
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Why are UK rail fares so expensive?
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'