Euro 2012 Diary: Just plane crazy; Bad break for Ray; Artists make impression on supporters
Tuesday 12 June 2012
Just plane crazy
One unlucky Irishman will be feeling even more embarrassed than Shay Given at the moment. In haste, an over-eager fan had travelled by plane from Dublin to watch Sunday's 3-1 defeat by Croatia, but was initially refused entry in Poznan airport after immigration officers realised he had travelled using his wife's passport by mistake. He had passed through check-in and security at Dublin Airport without anyone noticing the error.
Bad break for Ray
The injury crisis that struck the England squad before the tournament claimed yet another victim. Ray Clemence, the goalkeeping coach, was carried off the pitch before yesterday's game after snapping his Achilles.
Artists make impression on supporters
To keep visiting supporters entertained in Warsaw, a number of cultural events have been put in place in the city, including an art exhibition at the Museum of Caricature and Cartoon Art called "The Ball is in Play", which hopes artists reflect "the role of football in normal life, its laughter and tears" in their pieces. Art-lover and former England goalkeeper David James would love it.
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal joins Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for Sami Khedira
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Luis Suarez
Malky Mackay texts: Harry Redknapp defends former Cardiff City manger - 'he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile'
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27