FA pay Liverpool compensation for Steven Gerrard injury
The Football Association have confirmed their insurers will pay compensation to Liverpool for Steven Gerrard's hamstring injury.
Estimates say Liverpool will pocket £500,000 after their captain got injured in England's friendly defeat to France at Wembley on Wednesday.
The 30-year-old has been ruled out for a month, which could have a significant effect on his side's season after a recent revival came to an end at Stoke last Saturday.
The FA have been anxious to point out the cash will not come directly from them but an insurance scheme that has been set up, which has already paid out to Arsenal and Tottenham for injuries sustained by Theo Walcott and Jermain Defoe on international duty this season.
Michael Owen was the subject of one of the more expensive claims when he was injured on World Cup duty in 2006.
The FA are one of the few national associations who run such an insurance scheme.
Wednesday night's opponents France do not for instance, whilst many smaller nations simply could not afford the premiums to cover their star players.
Latest in Sport
Manchester City vs Southampton: Frank Lampard shuns the limelight ahead of his Premier League farewell
Francis Coquelin: The would-be Zinedine Zidane now making an impression as Arsenal’s Claude Makelele
Arsenal vs Aston Villa: Gunners snub that redefined Tim Sherwood
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
'I think you are an ostrich': The funniest managerial quotes of the 2014/15 Premier League season
- 1 Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
- 2 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take the title from Conchita Wurst
- 3 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating