Fifa to conduct 'routine investigation' into Bahrain's 10-0 win
Thursday 01 March 2012
Bahrain's 10-0 win over Indonesia in a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday is to be examined by FIFA's security department, soccer's governing body said today.
"Given the unusual outcome in relation to the results-expectation and head-to-head history, and in the interests of maintaining unequivocal confidence in our game, FIFA Security will conduct a routine examination of this game and its result," FIFA said in a statement.
Bahrain had needed a nine-goal win in the Asian Group E match, combined with a defeat for Qatar in Iran, to progress to the next stage of the region's World Cup qualifying competition.
Qatar went through, however, when an 86th-minute goal gave them a 2-2 draw in Iran to clinch second place in the group at Bahrain's expense.
Indonesia, already eliminated, fielded a weakened team as a number of their top players had been suspended by their own federation for taking part in the breakaway Indonesian Super League (ISL).
Bahrain converted two penalties during the match and Lebanese referee Andre El Hadded sent off Indonesia goalkeeper Samsidar after two minutes.
According to FIFA's records, the two sides had met six times before with two wins apiece and two draws. Bahrain had not previously won by more than two goals.
Indonesian football has recently been in turmoil and the country came close to international suspension last year.
Djohar Arifin Husin, a former secretary-general of the Indonesian Sports Committee, was elected head of the FA (PSSI) last year, defeating two other candidates in elections ordered by FIFA.
Previous elections had failed amid chaotic scenes and FIFA appointed a committee last year to organise the election.
The previous PSSI president, Nurdin Halid, was jailed in 2007 for misusing funds but continued to run the FA from his cell.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Fernando Torres to AC Milan: Jose Mourinho talks up Mattia Destro with Torres on verge of Chelsea exit
Mario Balotelli has been 'spoken to at length' and Liverpool have ensured he lives on Merseyside rather than Manchester
Tottenham vs Liverpool: Hugo Lloris expects Spurs to wipe away shame of 4-0 and 5-0 defeats last season
Tim Sherwood column: I've been impressed with my Tottenham successor Mauricio Pochettino
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner