Figo critical of Ronaldo
Thursday 01 July 2010
Former Portugal star Luis Figo has criticised his compatriot and Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo after the nation crashed out of the World Cup finals on Tuesday evening.
As he trudged off the pitch in Cape Town, he was questioned why they had been eliminated, to which he responded: "You should ask the coach."
Ronaldo has since said his comments were misconstrued, but Figo feels he should have acted in a better manner.
He said: "My notion of what a captain should do is maybe different to other people. But I think the captain, regardless of whether the team wins or loses, always has to defend the group.
"In the most difficult moments, it is his job to stand up for the team."
Actress isn't a fan of Ed Miliband
Do you qualify – and how do you get it?
The Mayor of London's sister, Rachel Johnson, apologises for shocking tweet about the PM
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Sam Wallace: Players of Suarez’s standing just don’t sign for clubs like Liverpool
Phil Hughes: Batsman had one weakness – it has come back to haunt him
Manchester City vs Bayern Munich comment: Frank Lampard's part in City win shows folly of letting him leave
Manchester City vs Bayern Munich: Nasri admits City stars will be sold if they fail in Europe
- 1 Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
- 2 Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 5 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'