Figo critical of Ronaldo
Thursday 01 July 2010
Former Portugal star Luis Figo has criticised his compatriot and Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo after the nation crashed out of the World Cup finals on Tuesday evening.
As he trudged off the pitch in Cape Town, he was questioned why they had been eliminated, to which he responded: "You should ask the coach."
Ronaldo has since said his comments were misconstrued, but Figo feels he should have acted in a better manner.
He said: "My notion of what a captain should do is maybe different to other people. But I think the captain, regardless of whether the team wins or loses, always has to defend the group.
"In the most difficult moments, it is his job to stand up for the team."
Latest in Sport
Manchester City vs Manchester United combined XI: No place for Yaya Toure... or any United defenders
EXCLUSIVE: F1 heading for eastern revolution as new team emerges from Romania
Impressive Kurt Zouma may save Chelsea millions by replacing John Terry
Radamel Falcao: Manchester United ready to seal permanent transfer of striker as 'everything is complete' to extend his Old Trafford stay
Daniel Sturridge injury: Liverpool striker suggests problems could be linked with 'Caribbean vibes'
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella