Figo critical of Ronaldo
Thursday 01 July 2010
Former Portugal star Luis Figo has criticised his compatriot and Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo after the nation crashed out of the World Cup finals on Tuesday evening.
As he trudged off the pitch in Cape Town, he was questioned why they had been eliminated, to which he responded: "You should ask the coach."
Ronaldo has since said his comments were misconstrued, but Figo feels he should have acted in a better manner.
He said: "My notion of what a captain should do is maybe different to other people. But I think the captain, regardless of whether the team wins or loses, always has to defend the group.
"In the most difficult moments, it is his job to stand up for the team."
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Latest in Sport
MMA: UFC heavyweights Mark Hunt and Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva in fight for the ages
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira relive the rivalry - after a shared ice cream in Warsaw
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent