Gallas pulls out of France squad with thigh injury
Friday 10 October 2008
William Gallas has emerged as Arsène Wenger's latest injury concern after the Arsenal captain picked up a thigh injury and pulled out of France's squad to face Romania. Gallas is struggling with a small tear to his right thigh and was replaced by former Newcastle defender Jean-Alain Boumsong for Les Bleus.
The Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has a hamstring problem and is unavailable for the Netherlands' meeting with Iceland in Rotterdam, but could still feature next week against Norway. Wenger will be sweating on the fitness of the pair ahead of the Premier League game at Everton in just over a week, with Arsenal looking to bounce back after a point from their last two matches.
The good news for Wenger was Samir Nasri returning to full fitness after a month out, and Mikaël Silvestre getting a run-out for the reserves.
Meanwhile, former Arsenal winger Robert Pires feels Wenger would be suited to turning around the fortunes of France after their dismal Euro 2008. "Wenger is a gentleman, and his qualities would have a positive effect on the French national side," Pires said.
* Former Celtic and Scotland midfielder Paul Lambert has been named the new manager of League One strugglers Colchester. The 39-year-old replaces Geraint Williams, who left the Essex club by mutual consent last month following their disappointing start to the new season.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Tottenham combined XI: Hugo Lloris or Thibaut Courtois? Willian or Christian Eriksen? Who makes the final cut?
Chelsea vs Tottenham: Eden Hazard exclusive interview - All is rosy in the garden of Eden
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
Carl Frampton vs Chris Avalos; Tyson Fury vs Christian Hammer; Dmitry Chudinov vs Chris Eubank Jr - boxing on TV this weekend
Robbie Savage avoids driving ban - because he would get 'accosted' too much if he had to use public transport
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it