Gallas pulls out of France squad with thigh injury
Friday 10 October 2008
William Gallas has emerged as Arsène Wenger's latest injury concern after the Arsenal captain picked up a thigh injury and pulled out of France's squad to face Romania. Gallas is struggling with a small tear to his right thigh and was replaced by former Newcastle defender Jean-Alain Boumsong for Les Bleus.
The Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has a hamstring problem and is unavailable for the Netherlands' meeting with Iceland in Rotterdam, but could still feature next week against Norway. Wenger will be sweating on the fitness of the pair ahead of the Premier League game at Everton in just over a week, with Arsenal looking to bounce back after a point from their last two matches.
The good news for Wenger was Samir Nasri returning to full fitness after a month out, and Mikaël Silvestre getting a run-out for the reserves.
Meanwhile, former Arsenal winger Robert Pires feels Wenger would be suited to turning around the fortunes of France after their dismal Euro 2008. "Wenger is a gentleman, and his qualities would have a positive effect on the French national side," Pires said.
* Former Celtic and Scotland midfielder Paul Lambert has been named the new manager of League One strugglers Colchester. The 39-year-old replaces Geraint Williams, who left the Essex club by mutual consent last month following their disappointing start to the new season.
Latest in Sport
England vs Lithuania: Wayne Rooney rules out repeat of boxing celebration after son Kai repeats it at school and focuses on goalscoring record
Marco Reus becomes Arsenal transfer target to replace Theo Walcott
Paul Scholes: It's amazing Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has so few caps for England
New kits for 2015/16: Have the Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona strips been leaked?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Zab Judah denies flooring Mayweather during sparring as he prepares for 2 May
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student