Ghana players Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng sent home from the World Cup and suspended indefinitely
The midfielders clashed with senior management
Ghana midfielders Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng have been suspended indefinitely from the national team and sent home from the World Cup in Brazil for disciplinary reasons, the Ghana Football Association has announced.
Muntari is alleged to have slapped Ghana management committee member Moses Armah Parker, while Boateng is alleged to have insulted coach Kwesi Appiah during a training session. The Black Stars, who still have a chance of qualifying from Group G, take on Portugal this evening in Brasilia.
Just a day after seeming to resolve a possible player mutiny over World Cup bonus payments, the Ghana Football Association released two separate statements saying two of the country's stars had been "suspended indefinitely from the Black Stars with immediate effect."
Muntari was suspended "in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an executive committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr. Moses Armah" on Tuesday, one statement read.
The other statement said Boateng was dropped from the squad because of "vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Kwesi Appiah" during a training session this week.
"Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision," the statement added. Both players have had their World Cup accreditation withdrawn.
Boateng himself confirmed his exit from the squad to Sport Bild, and revealed the pair had clashed with management, after coach Appiah had verbally attacked him.
"Yes, I am leaving. I am no longer part of the team," Boateng said.
"Yesterday, there was incident between me and Sulley Muntari in training. We joked after a battle for the ball. I told him that he had played the ball with his hand. He said no. I laughed at him and said: 'You're the ref now, or what?' We both laughed, but the coach stopped the complete session and asked why we both laughed. We told him that everything's OK. But he sent us to the dressing room.
"I talked to the coach after training. I asked him why he was down on me and he started shouting at me. He also insulted me. Words like 'f*** off' were said.
"I heard about my suspension this morning. I absolutely accept it, but nobody should believe that I have insulted the coach or have done anything wrong. I leave now, and wish my colleagues the best of luck for the World Cup and the Portugal match."
Latest in Sport
Hector Bellerin: How saying no to Barcelona paid off for Bellerin - and Arsenal
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
'I am the president of everybody': What Sepp Blatter said after winning re-election as Fifa president
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government