Italy vs Uruguay World Cup 2014: How can Uruguay finish top of Group D?
We take a look at how Oscar Tabarez's side can finish top of Group C
Uruguay will need something short of a small miracle if they are to finish top of Group D in the World Cup, starting off with a win against Italy.
The South American nation finished fourth at the 2010 World Cup after a controversial tournament, but their campaign got off to the worst possible start following a shock 3-1 defeat to Costa Rica.
However, a brace from Luis Suarez sent England crashing out of the competition in a 2-1 win in Sao Paulo, and if they beat Italy in their final game, they will go through to the second round along with Costa Rica.
But they need to beat a wounded Italian side, who were sent crashing to defeat by a resilient Costa Rica side, and Cesare Prandelli's men will be keen to make amends.
To finish top of Group D, Uruguay need to beat Italy and also hope England thrash Costa Rica, as they need at least a four-goal turnaround. It's not impossible, but one would think they would settle for second position.
Possible second round opponents:
Ivory Coast, Japan or Greece
The Group D table in full...
England are the only side out of contention after their back-to-back 2-1 defeats to Italy and Uruguay, while Costa Rica are through to the second round.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain