It's all kicking off... Poland and Russia fans in ugly clashes
Wednesday 13 June 2012
Russia fans clashed with police and Poland supporters in separate incidents in Warsaw yesterday, shortly before the two teams met last night in an emotionally charged European Championship match. Several people were injured.
Polish supporters were seen attacking Russians, who responded violently. The two sides, made up of dozens of men, lashed out with boots and fists, while flares could be seen exploding in their midst.
Poland and Russia fans were also seen fighting and throwing stones outside the National Stadium, despite a very heavy police presence.
Latest in Sport
The muddy truth of the Christmas Truce game
Alexis Sanchez video: Turns out the Arsenal forward is brilliant at playing the piano too
Premier League: Chelsea vs West Ham match preview
Sir Alex Ferguson on Jose Mourinho: 'He's good looking, speaks five languages, wins everything - it's unfair'
Documentary recalling Crazy Gang's 'thuggery' has Dave Bassett up in arms
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 4 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 5 New route to Mars could make manned mission much cheaper and easier