James McClean closes Twitter account after death threats following Ireland selection for Euro 2012
James McClean has closed his Twitter account after receiving death threats following his selection for the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 finals squad.
The 23-year-old Derry-born Sunderland winger made the move after he was sent a message saying he "deserved to be shot" for opting to play for the Republic rather than Northern Ireland.
McClean was the subject of abuse earlier this season when he announced his decision, which is allowed under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.
Northumbria Police today confirmed they have received no complaint, while a spokesman for the Police Service of Northern Ireland said: "We do not discuss the security of any individual.
"However, if we receive information that a person's life may be at risk, we will inform them accordingly. We never ignore anything which may put an individual at risk."
McClean is currently on Wearside preparing for Sunday's final Barclays Premier League fixture of the season against Manchester United.
Black Cats chief executive Margaret Byrne said: "Any incidents of this nature are treated with the utmost seriousness and the club is looking into this matter carefully."
McClean was also inundated with messages of support from both sides of the border following his inclusion on Monday in Giovanni Trapattoni's 23-man squad for the finals in Poland and Ukraine.
He has just one senior cap to his name to date, and that from an appearance as a substitute in a friendly against the Czech Republic in February.
His emergence from the bench was greeted by rapturous applause by fans at the Aviva Stadium, and his form for Sunderland since has earned him a seat on the plane.
The Football Association of Ireland expressed disappointment with the threats aimed at the player, and backed his decision to withdraw from the social network site.
A spokesman said: "It's a pity it has come to this, but it is maybe in his best interests in the short term."
Trapattoni's players will be able to use Twitter during the tournament, which gets under way for them with a game against Croatia in Poznan on June 10, but under specified guidelines.
With the top nine players in the men’s world tennis rankings all missing this tournament to prepare ...
by Gareth Purnell
21 May 2013 02:01 AM
When cyclists look back on their careers spanning many hundreds (and in some cases possibly thousand...
by Martin Ayres
20 May 2013 06:12 PM
As England’s new football strip – made by Nike – is revealed today, new research shows the English F...
by Alex Miller
20 May 2013 04:52 PM
Why Spurs will break the bank to keep Gareth Bale this summer
Jose Mourinho clear to rejoin Chelsea as departure clears the way for Real Madrid to move for Gareth Bale to become Cristiano Ronaldo's successor
Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
Manchester City begin to rebuild and rebrand for future
Why Arsène Wenger must spend to put icing on the cake and buy likes of Stevan Jovetic for Arsenal
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.