Leighton Baines admits rivalry with Ashley Cole for England place has driven Everton performances this season
Thursday 11 October 2012
Everton left-back Leighton Baines admits competition for a place in the England team has been driving him on this season.
The 27-year-old was in Roy Hodgson's starting line-up in their previous outing against Ukraine at Wembley last month.
But with Chelsea's Ashley Cole, the established choice on the left of defence, back in the squad for the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland, Baines knows he has a fight to retain his place.
"I've been trying to keep my form up at club level between the two international breaks," he told evertontv.
"The competition for places is just the way it is. It's something you just have to accept.
"You respect the players in the squad and the other players who are in your position that much that you know you may not play.
"All you can always do is do the best you can for your club and that's what I've been trying to do."
Latest in Sport
Leicester City 5 Manchester United 3: Mario Balotelli and Gary Lineker lead the trolling of United
Police probe Mario Balotelli racist abuse as Kick It Out voice their displeasure
West Ham vs Liverpool: We are nowhere near as good as last season, says Brendan Rodgers
Frank Lampard equalises for Manchester City against Chelsea: how the internet reacted
Manchester City vs Chelsea match report: Frank Lampard shows no joy after denying Chelsea victory
- 1 Rihanna 'nude photos' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Frank Lampard equalises for Manchester City against Chelsea: how the internet reacted
- 3 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair