Luis Suarez bite: Fifa to investigate Suarez following incident with Giorgio Chiellini
Uruguayan appeared to bite Italian defender during Uruguay victory over Italy
Fifa has announced it will investigate the Luis Suarez alleged biting incident with Uruguay striker likely to face a lengthy ban if found guilty.
Suarez appeared to bite Italy's Giorgio Chiellini towards the end of Uruguay's 1-0 win, leaving teeth-marks on his shoulder
A Fifa spokesperson said: "We are awaiting the official match reports and will gather all the necessary elements in order to evaluate the matter."
Read more: In pictures: Did Suarez bite?
Match report: Italy 0 Uruguay 1
Suarez swerves incident in post-match interview
Fifa's disciplinary code sets a maximum ban of 24 matches or two years, but the longest ban in World Cup history was eight games for Italy's Mauro Tassotti for breaking Spain's Luis Enrique's nose in 1994 with an elbow.
Suarez clashed with the Italian as the two competed for a free-kick, when Suarez clearly threw his head in the direction of Chiellini. The centre-back fell to the floor in agony, immediately followed by the Liverpool striker who was attempting to play the victim of the clash.
However, an incensed Chiellini got up and confronted the forward, before pulling down his shirt in an attempt to show the referee what he believed to be teeth marks on his shoulder.While Chiellini rampaged around the pitch in anger, Suarez was seen clearly holding his teeth in pain. Neither player was booked for the incident with play eventually continuing, and Diego Godin struck soon after to give Uruguay a crucial 1-0 win that sees them progress from Group D to the last-16 at Italy’s expense.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has