Löw will rally Germany with Klinsmann speech
Saturday 07 June 2008
Germany coach Joachim Löw will have an easy way of rallying the team ahead of their Euro 2008 opener against Poland tomorrow – just copy his predecessor Jürgen Klinsmann.
"We're going to get a transcript of what Jürgen Klinsmann said two years ago and just repeat that," assistant coach Hansi Flick joked when asked at a news conference yesterday what he and Löw would say in their pre-match talk.
Germany beat Poland 1-0 with a last-gasp winner in the group phase at the World Cup two years ago so the speech from the former coach obviously had some effect.
Michael Ballack and Torsten Frings will be pulling the strings in midfield for Germany but who will play either side of them remains a mystery.
Striker Lukas Podolski has been used out of position on the left wing, while Clemens Fritz appears to have overtaken Bastian Schweinsteiger as first choice for the right wing. David Odonkor, Thomas Hitzlsperger and Tim Borowski are also candidates.
Latest in Sport
England vs Lithuania: Wayne Rooney rules out repeat of boxing celebration after son Kai repeats it at school and focuses on goalscoring record
Marco Reus becomes Arsenal transfer target to replace Theo Walcott
Paul Scholes: It's amazing Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has so few caps for England
New kits for 2015/16: Have the Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona strips been leaked?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Zab Judah denies flooring Mayweather during sparring as he prepares for 2 May
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student