Michael Owen gives up on playing for England
Wednesday 25 May 2011
Michael Owen has given up hope of being selected for England by Fabio Capello.
The 31-year-old striker, a peripheral figure for Manchester United, has not featured for the Three Lions since playing in a friendly against France in March 2008.
He was quoted in The Guardian as saying: "I was disappointed for the first squad I missed, a little bit less for the next one and after about three or four times, I didn't really expect to see my name.
"For the first couple of squads I looked at the players [named] and looked at what I had done. For the last dozen squads, I haven't looked. I don't even think about [being picked] now. Honestly.
"It's sad, really. If I keep getting up for something, then [find out] I am not in, I am just kidding myself."
At the peak of his powers, Owen, who has 40 international goals to his name, was widely expected to overtake the England record of 49 held by Sir Bobby Charlton, but it is an ambition the former Liverpool striker has abandoned.
Owen said: "I am not going to kid myself. Every time I saw him I was 'closing on your record, Sir Bobby'.
"Now I just see him for who he is: a great man."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea in Thailand: Eden Hazard offered 'free hug' as Jose Mourinho meets a familiar face
Heysel disaster 30th anniversary: Liverpool have seen too much tragedy to forget that fateful day in Belgium
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone