Name change for Italy striker Mario Balotelli
Wednesday 06 June 2012
Uefa says Mario Balotelli will have both his family names on his Italy shirt at the European Championship.
The official player list for the tournament shows that the 21-year-old forward has registered "Barwuah Balotelli" as his shirt name. Balotelli was born in Sicily as Mario Barwuah to parents of Ghanaian descent. He took the name Balotelli from his foster parents in Brescia, who brought him up after he became ill as a toddler. He uses just the Balotelli name on his shirt when playing for Manchester City.
Balotelli hopes to have shaken off an adductor strain to play in Italy's opener against Spain on Sunday in Gdansk.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers