Pearce returns fire to Arsenal over Wilshere burnout worries
Friday 27 May 2011
England under-21 manager Stuart Pearce has questioned why Arsène Wenger did not rest Jack Wilshere if the Arsenal manager was so concerned about supposed burnout.
Wilshere withdrew from Pearce's European Championship squad to protect his fitness after being shown statistics by Arsenal's medical department which indicated he was becoming fatigued.
"Every player at this stage of the season would be reasonably tired," said Pearce, who yesterday also lost Micah Richards to a hamstring injury.
"Arsenal have not left him out of the side in the last six weeks, even though the stats have said he's in the red zone."
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
David Gold furious after Carlton Cole parody account mocks up a picture of West Ham chairman as a suspect in the Madeleine McCann case
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 4 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence