Pearce returns fire to Arsenal over Wilshere burnout worries
Friday 27 May 2011
England under-21 manager Stuart Pearce has questioned why Arsène Wenger did not rest Jack Wilshere if the Arsenal manager was so concerned about supposed burnout.
Wilshere withdrew from Pearce's European Championship squad to protect his fitness after being shown statistics by Arsenal's medical department which indicated he was becoming fatigued.
"Every player at this stage of the season would be reasonably tired," said Pearce, who yesterday also lost Micah Richards to a hamstring injury.
"Arsenal have not left him out of the side in the last six weeks, even though the stats have said he's in the red zone."
Latest in Sport
Didier Drogba went absolutely mental in the Chelsea dressing room after Blues were given the Premier League trophy
Jurgen Klopp favourite to replace Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool if he's sacked
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Sam Allardyce sacked: West Ham wait just a few minutes after final game to axe manager
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger sets deadline for Theo Walcott contract talks with Liverpool keeping a close eye on his future
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Art Garfunkel: Paul Simon is a 'monster' with a Napoleon complex
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises