Peter Crouch pays the price for snubbing England during Euro 2012
Tuesday 11 September 2012
Roy Hodgson said yesterday that he would not consider Peter Crouch, the Stoke City striker who has 22 goals in 42 England caps, as a late call-up to his squad because the player turned down the chance to go on standby for Euro 2012.
Crouch, 31, only refused Hodgson's offer last May in exasperation at what he perceived as another England manager who preferred to ignore his scoring record in favour of giving an opportunity to another striker unproven at international level – in this case Andy Carroll.
In the past, Crouch has found himself behind players like Carlton Cole, Dean Ashton and Bobby Zamora. Having been ignored by Fabio Capello since his goal against France in November 2010, he had hoped that Hodgson would see things differently. Crouch still wishes to be considered for England.
Hodgson said: "I selected him for the Euros, but he didn't want to come. He was on a standby list but he made it clear that, unless he was in the squad, he didn't want to be considered. As a result, we've selected squads since when I felt I didn't need him. I'm not going to bring him in to fill up the bench. The day Crouch gets into the England squad is when I think he should be in the original 23."
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'