Rafael Benitez agent denies approach from Turkey
Tuesday 24 May 2011
The agent of Rafael Benitez has denied reports his client has held talks with Turkey about taking over the national team from coach Guus Hiddink.
Hiddink, 64, is reportedly Chelsea's main candidate to replace Carlo Ancelotti, who was sacked on Sunday.
The Dutch coach had a five-month interim spell at Chelsea back in 2009 during which he led the London outfit to FA Cup glory.
However, Hiddink is under contract with the Turkish Football Federation until the end of the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.
When asked if former Liverpool manager Benitez had been approached by Turkey, his agent Manuel Garcia Quilon said to Press Association Sport: "Absolutely not.
"He has not been approached by Turkey and hence, he has not held talks regarding coaching the national team."
Benitez has been out of work since being dismissed by Inter Milan in December, just six months after joining the Serie A giants.
The Spaniard is currently reviewing several offers to return to coaching.
"He has received some offers from several clubs," Quilon said. "His priority is to remain in England."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea players allowed 20 minutes to celebrate, says Jose Mourinho after Capital One Cup victory
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Liverpool vs Manchester City match report: Stunners from Philippe Coutinho and Jordan Henderson sink Manuel Pellegrini's side
Arsenal 2 Everton 0 player ratings: Who scored highest at the Emirates?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Dakota Johnson's 'It's only Isis' Saturday Night Live sketch sparks controversy